Global Firmware Tutorial for Mi 10 / Mi 9 / Mix 3 / Redmi Note 9 usw.
Since most Xiaomi devices are locked/unlocked by default, you have to unlock them first. Here we show you how to unlock a device and flash the current Global Firmware.
Since it's actually the same process on every Xiaomi device, we've kept the instructions here fairly general. Of course you can also install a Xiaomi.eu firmware on many devices. You can find instructions for this in our tutorials.
In this tutorial we use the XiaoMi tool for unlocking, because it is very easy to handle. With it you can easily install the latest Global Firmware, but Xiaomi.eu Roms still need some manual work.
We currently recommend using the Xiaomi tool because it is simple, practical and up-to-date. No need to search for new Global Firmware versions, the tool connects to the current database and downloads the latest Global Firmware.
NOTE: We do not give any guarantee on our instructions, but they are in daily use and have been tested extensively.
IMPORTANT! Please pay attention to the version number, as Xiaomi does not allow updating to older firmware versions. If your firmware on the device is more current than the one in our manual, please contact us and we will help you. Please order number + email address.
Xiaomi Tool V2
(the latest version of the Xiaomi tool)
Global Firmware Images
(if you want to download them manually / through the Xiaomi tool but not necessary)
1. MIUI ACCOUNT CREATION
- The first thing we have to do is create a Mi Account. For this we visit the page https://global.account.xiaomi.com/pass/register
- Here you have to enter an email address + password, confirm it and log in later.
- You can also register in the forum http://en.miui.com/forum.php log in with your MiAccount, but you will get a strange page with chinese displayed. Don't be surprised, here you define your forum username.
- On the Dashboard https://account.xiaomi.com you can then enter a "Recovery phone" number, which you must then confirm. It is not obligatory, but will help you later if you have problems.
- Our tip, verify your account completely, that means, enter your phone number, your email and if necessary the secret questions "Security Questions".
2. Mi UNLOCK STATUS ACTIVATION
You can find out how to activate the Mi Unlock status here in our How-To-Video.
- To make sure you don't get stuck at 90% during the unlocking process, there is a new option in Miui that you need to enable.
- First of all you have to enter your Mi account on the device and insert a SIM card.
- Then go to the settings / settings at the top of "My device" (Miui 11) -> "All specs" and click several times on the Miui version number. This should unlock the Developer Mode.
- You can now find it in the Settings - Additional Settings -> Developer Mode.
- There you will find the option "Mi Unlock Status" a bit further down. If you click on it, you'll see a small information that the device is still locked.
- Now simply scroll down to the very bottom and click on the "Add account and device". This will take some time and then you should get a message "Added successfully".
- But if you got an error "Server not responding" try to log out with your Mi account and log in again with your email address.
C: XiaoMi TOOL EINRICHTEN
1. XiaoMi Tool installation
- First we start the XMT2_Windows_Setup.exe and carry out the complete installation process.
- During the installation Windows will probably ask you for some rights, confirm them.
- Likewise, if you do not already have the Microsoft .NET Framework, you must install it.
- After the installation you can start the program, confirm the disclaimer and select "EUROPE" as zone if you are asked.
2. BOOTLOADER UNLOCK
IMPORTANT!! Recently it has become impossible to unlock the bootloader directly. Xiaomi requires a minimum time of 7/14 logged in days on some devices. That means you have to be logged in on the device for at least 7/14 days with your Mi account. Just give it a try, you will get a notification how long it will take.
- We start the XiaoMi tool and select "EUROPE" as the zone if we have not already done so.
- Next, we confirm the disclaimer and select "My device works normally I want to mod it" on the left.
- Now the device is searched for and for this we have to switch the smartphone into the USB debugging mode. You can find this mode in the Settings - Additional Settings -> Developer Mode.
- There you best activate "USB Debugging" and confirm the whole thing. We also recommend to directly activate "Install via USB" and "USB debugging (Security settings)". You will have less problems with this later (if these options are available).
- Now you connect the device via USB to the PC and usually get a request on the smartphone. You can confirm the message "Allow USB Debugging" and set it to "Always allow from this computer" forever.
- After that the XiaoMi Tool should recognize your smartphone and start it in bootloader mode and then switch to recovery mode
- IMPORTANT!! If the device does not start in recovery mode, you can do this manually. Simply press and hold the "Volume up + power button" until the Xiaomi/Redmi logo appears. Then release the "power button" and only hold down the "volume button up".
- After a short time you are booted into the recovery mode and can select "Recovery" at the bottom of the screen. The XiaoMi tool shows you exactly what you have to do by means of pictures. Confirm the recovery mode by pressing the "Power" button.
- If you have not yet chosen to unlock the boot loader, please do so. Most of the time the option is at the bottom or is automatically displayed when flashing to a Global Firmware, because that is the basic requirement.
- Now you have to log in to the same Mi account that is logged in on your device and start the process.
- Normally the process runs through, restarts the device and the unlock process is displayed in percent on the device.
- INFO!!If you are not unlocked because there is not enough time, you will get a message telling you how long you have to wait. After that, simply restart the app and start the bootloader unlock process again. After unlocking your device is reset to factory defaults, everything is deleted.
D: GLOBAL FIRMWARE
1. GLOBAL FIRMWARE INSTALLATION
Requirement: Your bootloader is unlocked
INFO!! When you flash a new firmware, all content on the device is deleted. Please make a backup before.
- We open the XiaoMi tool again and connect our device via USB. It should now be recognized and here we select "My device works normally I want to mod it" again.
- Now we are in the menu and select "Official Xiaomi Rome" above. Then the app connects to the Xiaomi server and downloads the latest Developer and Stable, China and Global.
- In the next window we decide on the "Global Stable" and this will be downloaded directly in the latest version.
- Then we confirm the start of the installation and wait.
- The Rom is now flashed and as soon as the device reboots the process is complete.
- Please be patient here, as it can often take 5-10 minutes.